Friday, August 10, 2007

Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me

The NPR program Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! was in Boulder last night to tape this week's show and Christine, Shana, and I attended.

The taping was at the Chautauqua Auditorium, which is essentially a very large barn in Chautauqua park. (For those who came to the wedding, Chautauqua is where we did our hike.) Even with some light drizzle, it was quite a warm evening. The barn doesn't have AC.

Being at the live taping you get to see all the things that don't make the radio show. The version you hear on NPR always comes off so flawless sounding, but there's a lot of stuff that gets edited out of the final cut. Hopefully they cut out as much of Kyrie O'Connor's dialog as possible. I never realized how unfunny she is. She was terrible.

The most entertaining portion of the show for me was the "Not My Job" segment. The guest was Kevin Fitzgerald, a vet from Denver who has been on several Animal Planet shows as well as being a former bouncer for bands like The Rolling Stones. He kind of has a Tommy Chong sounding voice and drawl and he was pretty entertaining.

It's always interesting to see the people that you've only heard on the radio before. I think Shana now has a crush on Peter Sagal. I don't know if that is in place of or in addition to her voice crush of Carl Kassell.

2 comments:

  1. Carl's voice will never be replaced as a crush! If his voice was on my home answering machine* I would use like 4000 minutes a month because I would just call and listen all day.
    But yes, Peter did get added to my nerdy-hot celebrity crush list.
    *Does anyone have a home answering machine anymore? Or even a home phone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must be a Luddite. I have both a (digital) machine and a home phone.

    ReplyDelete