Sunday, August 26, 2007

Bourne again

Christine and I went and saw the Bourne Ultimatum tonight. Pretty good movie with lots of action, as you would expect. It's been a while since I've seen the second one, but if I remember correctly this one has the same type of camera work. It's kind of shakey (maybe shot handheld without a steadicam?), and it makes the whole thing feel more tense. The director really loves an over the shoulder shot where you're behind one person looking at another and the view is partially obscured by the first persons back and shoulder. I lost count of how many times they used that shot.

A couple comments:

There's a VW commercial where they mention some role of VW's in the movie. They're there, but I wouldn't exactly brag about it. I don't think it's a good commercial when someone hotwires your car in 3 seconds, or when your car is demolished but an airbag never goes off. Not that I expect things to be too realistic in the movie, but still...

I had to laugh when the CIA-esque chief walks into a cramped room full of worker bees and huge television screens that seem to be able to display anything at a moments notice. The dialog always goes something like: "Drop everything. This is super-duper top priority. I need you to find out everything about Person X and be so inside their head that you'll know their next move before they do. Quick, somebody put the take-out menu for In-n-Out on screen 1 immediately..." I would love to see a scene like that where the worker bee interrupts the commander before he can open his mouth and says "Alright. We get it. You need all sorts of info."

Good movie though. Go see it.

(I was just looking at movie reviews and say this hillarious comment from a negative reviewer: "Director Paul Greengrass insists on utilizing cameramen with Parkinson's disease and editors more concerned with celluloid masturbation than continuity.")

4 comments:

  1. My client, Laura, said the movie made her ill. I asked if it was violent and she said no, that the camera shaking made her get motion sickness. Too weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it. However, even given that it was an action/Bourne flick, I still thought the characters were more unidimensional than the prior. Maybe it was because Bourne didn't have a love interest that he seemed a little flat and mechanical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They almost made it look like he was going to have a love interest. I expected them to flesh that out at the end, but they didn't. I guess that's one thing they leave open for another sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the impression they had history from his previous life, but didn't remember.

    ReplyDelete