Monday, August 27, 2007

Out of season gear

It's hard to think about snow sports when you're picking bugs out of your teeth from your latest ride in triple digit weather. Maybe it's been the recent cool nights, or the rapidly approaching cyclocross season, but I've thought about my equipment needs for the winter season and I need some suggestions.


  • I need to get a new helmet this year. I have one already, but I don't wear it frequently because it's not really comfortable. I'm looking for a comfortable, lightweight helmet this year that isn't going to break the bank. I'm no fashoinista, so I can live with something ugly. Comfort is key. I like adjustable venting for variable weather. Soft, removable ear pieces are also nice.

  • Last fall I pulled my 5 year old mittens out of my ski box and thought for sure they wouldn't make it through the season. Well they did, but I'd rather not try to make that miracle happen again. I really liked mittens for snowboarding, but I may like the extra dexterity of gloves for skiing. I don't suffer from really icey fingers, but I don't have really hot hands either. I need something warm, but probably not Ed Viesturs warm. Here is what I liked about my old Burton mitts:

    • Wrist straps - makes it easy to take them off on the lift without worrying about dropping them on an unsuspecting skier.

    • Removable Liner - Most days I didn't need the liner, but I was sure happy I had it on the really cold days.

    • Snot rag - Disgusting, but having a nice soft spot of the glove that was designed for dabbing a snotty nose is priceless

    • Goggle squeegie - not super useful all the time, but there were plenty of times where it helped outl.


  • I'm considering trying to learn telemark this year. (Free your heel free your mind, right?) I'm open to suggestions for affordable tele gear or any buying tips.


(Comments have been disabled here, but you can comment on this post over at Snow Hugger and give me some suggestions.)

No comments:

Post a Comment