Monday, August 6, 2007

Deathly Hallows


I finally finished reading the new Harry Potter book (Christine had to help me sound out some of the bigger words). It was good and all, but I could have done without the Hollywood/Happily Ever After ending. I think it would have been way more compelling to end it with the chapter where Voldemort "kills" Harry.

I was put off by how contrived things were in this book. It was like Rowling was inventing the rules that govern that world in order to build a story, which I guess is one of the nice things about writing about a fictional world. The loopholes in the wizarding "physics" (that somehow hardly anybody in all the years of wizarding had figured out) was hack. Maybe I'm no fun and that's why I prefer non-fiction on the rare occasion that I actually pick up a book.

I don't know how the Harry Potter licensing works, but I would expect to see some spin-off books involving the children in that were introduced in the (shiny, happy) epilogue. And I wouldn't be surprised to see a prequel (a great way to rehash beloved characters that got axed in the last installment).

4 comments:

  1. so yeah.. Harry should have died, and I don't like the way J.K kept him alive by his willingness to die..... but I'm glad he didn't... I know, a hopeless romantic. I don't know how it could have gone otherwise...she's the one making the millions, but I've been totally sucked in.. so something is working. I would love to read a prequel.. but anything afterwards would be really anti-climactic. Of course I enjoyed the 'little peek' into the future...again, hopeless romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT'S A BOOK FOR CHILDREN!
    Of course it's contrieved and happily-ever-after. What were you expecting, War and Peace?
    I was also disappointed that Cobra Commander's army of robots could never pop a cap on G.I. Joe and that Billy in the Family Circus couldn't find the most direct route from point A to point B without his dotted line going all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: IT'S A BOOK FOR CHILDREN!
    hahahaha sssssso true!
    Ya ever notice in the GI Joe cartoon they always made a point of showing you the parachute of the pilot safely escaping the shot down plane! Agggggggggggg!
    Kids need to read Old Yeller and Little Women again to get some real emotionaly crushing deaths into there lives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Long Live The Empire Strikes Back!!!
    Enough said...

    ReplyDelete