Sunday, November 11, 2007

On the Cross (and other Saturday adventures)

Saturday Christine and I ventured down to Highlands Ranch for the On The Cross CX race. It was a very fun course and I finished 30th out of 60. One thing is certain: I stink at starts. Even though I started in the second row, I was just about at the back within 100 yards. I guess it didn't help that the start grid was 20 people wide. This was a really good race for me because it forced me to work on some things I'm not good at (like loose off-camber corners, and loose corners in general), and I could feel myself getting better as the race went on. That's a great feeling.

Afterwards, Christine and I got our shopping on at Park Meadows Mall. Oddly enough, we ran into Ashley as we were wandering around. Strange since neither of us ever go to that mall.

After dealing with the supreme douchbaggery of Highlands Ranch we mustered up enough strength to go to REI. We bought a new tent earlier this year (the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL3), and we just weren't ultimately happy with it. I won't go into detail, but there were a number of things we weren't happy with. One of the reasons I continue to shop at REI (even after they banned dogs) is their 100% satisfaction return policy. We took our tent back, and did some shopping for a new one. We're going to get a Black Diamond Skylight, but we're going to wait until we get a 20% off coupon because it's pretty pricey. Laura - if any of your REI cohorts have anything good or bad to say about the Skylight, I'd love to know before I pick one up.

I saw someone at REI with a Mountain Madness Everest 2004 jacket on, so I felt the need to talk to him. We recently listened to the audio book of No Shortucts To The Top by Ed Viesturs , so I was familiar with the Mountain Madness name. We didn't talk much, but the guy did say he make it to the top and that the sherpas are amazing. He made it back with all his fingers and toes and he said he'd do it again. It's kind of cool to talk to someone who's been to the top of the world. I'd love to know what that kind of thing costs and I'm kicking myself for not asking him.

2 comments:

  1. The REI in Boulder has bought the store beside it, they're done moving into it I think. If you want to check out a closer store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI...The Boulder REI expanded into the store beside it. (I haven't seen it yet though.)

    ReplyDelete