Tuesday, July 3, 2007

London - Monday

I woke up sometime around sunrise, but decided that was just too early to get up and managed to fall asleep until Thomas woke us up a 9:30. We had reservations at 11:30 for tea at the Ritz. Tea was...well, not my cup of tea. I packed a pair of nice pants and a button up shirt, but jacket and tie are required (which the fine people at the Ritz loaned to me). Along with tea, we had sandwiches, scones, and tea cakes. The sandwiches had the crusts cut off. The English must have told their mommies a long time ago that they didn't like the crust. Babies.

After that horrific experience, we took the tube down to a museum with a Star Wars exhibit. It may have been cool, but by that point I really wanted to walk around town at a non 8 year old pace with a non 8 year old attention span. Christine and I walked along the river down to the London tower. The weather was pleasantly cool with the occasional rainfall.

At the tower we reconvened with Thomas and Chris and toured around the Tower of London. Wow, the royalty sure were living it up while the peasants suffered. On the way in to see the crown jewels they were projecting a video of the queen's coronation and I just find the whole thing odd. But then again, I guess we create our own royalty in the form of celebrities.

Distance is measured in miles and speed in miles per hour, yet weight is measured in grams and kilograms. They drive on the left here, but yet on the escalators you're expected to stand on the right and walk on the left. On the sidewalks, people generally walk on the right hand side. It all seems inconsistent.

In the evening we had a good dinner in Chinatown and then went to see Spamalot. It was pretty fun, but mostly scenes and lines lifted from The Holy Grail. Worth checking out, though, if it's in your town. A coworker of mine is also in London and we met him after the show for a quick drink before catching the last train home.

1 comment:

  1. I went to England in High School - it's the only time I've ever been overseas and I loved it. I don't remeber the food being good but Kensinton market and the boy on the trip from Eastchester I met meeeeowww!Have fun!

    ReplyDelete