Saturday, June 25, 2011

2011 BTC Day 6 - Glenwood Springs to Frisco

On tap for today - 1 big climb. Vail Pass. I haven't climbed it from the west since Christine was in Vail for her hip surgery a few years ago. 

After a nice rest day, I was finally feeling pretty good and ready to ride hard. But before I could do that, we had to drive the 20 miles back to our bikes in Gypsum. We decided that we'll have to come back sometime and ride the bike path from Glenwood Springs when it's repaired. 

I rode hard to the first aid station and pulled in for a NASCAR type speedy stop. Just some water and a couple pieces of fruit. I came back to get my bike and it was gone. Talk about a momentary freakout. After a few minutes of wandering, I found it in a different part of the aid station. I'm not sure who moved it, or why, but it's totally not cool. 

With that business out of the way, it was time to get to the business of climbing Vail Pass. I hit it as hard as I felt like I could sustain for the whole thing and cruised all the way up. It's quite a bit longer than I remembered though and I'm glad I didn't run out of gas. 

From the top of the pass, it's a descent down to Copper and then on into Frisco via the bike path.

The truck carrying our bags got a flat tire, so again I was hanging out at camp waiting for my stuff to arrive. I passed the time by getting a massage and then getting back on my bike to ride in with Christine. One day to go... 

No comments:

Post a Comment