Tuesday, June 21, 2011

2011 BTC Day 3

Finally some sunny weather today for our ride from Granby to Steamboat Springs. 

As much as I try, I can never sleep in here. Between the early sunshine and the noise of people getting moving at 6am, it's just not possible. I didn't want to get an early start on the road today, so I went out and picked up breakfast for Christine and I. The world famous Jessie McDaniel (who is on the tour to entertain us and also work the massage tent) recommend a great place - Ian's Mountain Bakery. Ian makes some wicked biscuits and gravy and it was such a good way to start the day. 

I eventually got on my bike around 8. The whole route today was on US40. It's not a terribly nice road to ride on. Sometimes there was a nice shoulder, other times there was little/no shoulder, and sometimes we had some bonus rumble strips. There was also a consistent headwind, which made for a tiring day. 

With all the wind it probably would have been smart to get into some pacelines, but some days I just want to ride my own pace. Not to mention that it frightens me to think about getting into a paceline with a lot of these people. I certainly towed a lot of people today though. They were happy to sit on my wheel, and I was happy to just cruise. 

Tomorrow was supposed to be a 100 miler, but they had to reroute due to some flooding. So we're *only* doing something like 90 miles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment