Sunday, June 19, 2011

2011 Bicycle Tour of Colorado - Day 1

BTC Blog

Day 1 of the 2011 BTC is in the books. 56 Miles from Central City to Estes Park. It was a beautiful ride along the Peak To Peak Highway. 

I would have loved to sleep in today since it was such a short day, but people just *love* to get up at the crack of dawn. I think I finally couldn't take all the noise anymore around 6 and rolled out of the tent. People were already on their bikes and moving out. 

I decided to try the early departure thing and got out of camp around 7. I rode the first 20 or so miles fairly hard to get past big groups of people. After a quick stop at the first aid station, I carried on but at an easier pace. 

I ended up getting to Estes around 10:30 and was bummed to find out that I had beat my luggage here. In fact, the people transporting out bags didn't get here for many more hours and I just had to hang out in my nasty bike clothes. Not cool. 

Late in the afternoon the rain started moving in and we got a few waves of heavy moisture. There's talk about snow on Trail Ridge (our route tomorrow), but I've got my fingers crossed. It's one of the reasons I wanted to do the your this year. 

One thing is for sure, I'm not going to get as early a start tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment