Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Liquid cargo

How much beer can two people bring home from Belgium?

2008-12-30_01_the_beer_we_brought_home

On my way over to Belgium I stuffed an extra duffel bag into my suitcase with the intent of giving us some extra storage room. My original plan was to put all the beer in my suitcase, which is semi-hard and tough for the airlines to really damage. We got a little overzealous with our beer and chocolate purchases so we ended up putting beer in all four of our pieces of luggage. Amazingly, it all made it unbroken. We spent a lot of time packing it all up, even snagging an empty box from the hotel that we put into the duffle. My big bag was barely under the weight limit (at the airport we had to shift some bottles to Christine's bags).

Left to right:
2 large bottles of Rodenbach Grand Cru
12 bottles of Rodenbach Grand Cru
1 bottle of Rodenbach Vin De Céréale
1 large bottle Eylenbosch Faro Extra
1 large bottle 3 Fonteinen Oude Kriek
3 bottles of Ellezelloise Hercule Stout
1 bottle of Ellezelloise Saison
2 bottles of Hanssens Oude Kriek
2 bottles of Verhaeghe Echt Kriekenbier
3 bottles of Rochefort 10
2 bottles of Van Eecke Kapittel Prior
1 bottle of Cantillon Rose
1 bottle of Boon Oude Geuze

They represent some of our favorites from the trip, and they each have their own story. Like the Faro-Extra that was given to us as a gift from the owners of a great pub near Brussels. But more on those stories later.

5 comments:

  1. Beer Run
    I didn't realize this trip was just an beer run. Young People ??????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was gone for 6 months, and I am only allowed 2 bottle of wine... Oh Canada!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmm...Might go great with some grass-fed cow....
    :)

    ReplyDelete