Friday, April 2, 2010

Carry-On Items

I flew to Austin last night to spend the weekend with Christine at the "winter home", and since it was such a short trip I decided not to check any luggage. Any time I travel with bike stuff as carry-on, the TSA people get some confused looks on their faces as the try to discern what's coming across the screen of their x-ray machine. Yesterday they didn't like what they saw and they pulled some stuff out of my bag to see what kind of contraband I was sneaking on to the airplane.

I didn't know it, but you're not allowed to take tools longer than 7" in your carry-on luggage. I understand the rule, but it's funny because if I had told them that my pedal wrench was a large pencil, it would be okay. Maybe next time I should tape a Bic pen to the side.

So for your reference:

Not okay as carry-on:


Fine as carry-on?:



I didn't want to scrap a nice pedal wrench (I finally upgraded from my cheap shitty one not too long ago), so I got a box from the airline counter and checked them as luggage. Funny. Glad I had plenty of time at the airport.

1 comment:

  1. I once had 12" acrylic knitting needles on a plane when they took my tweezers. This was shortly after 9/11.

    I am much fiercer with tweezers apparently.

    ReplyDelete