Monday, April 18, 2005

The end of an era


Lance Armstrong held a press conference today in Augusta, GA (where he is about to defend his title at the Tour de Georgia) to announce that the 2005 Tour de France will be his last race as a professional cyclist.  It'll be sad to have him out of the pro peloton, but he still plans to have a role in Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team.  What exactly that role will be is yet to be determined, but he said he wants to help develop the next American TdF champion.

One of the reporters at the conference asked if the Tour de Georgia would be his last pro race in the US.  "Probably."  He showed up a couple weekends ago at a race in California, and said that if he found a good race in the May timeframe, it wouldn't be out of the question for him to show up.  Hmmm....May.....My calender shows that the Boulder Stage Race is May 13-15.  In fact, Lance even mentioned that there was "something" in Colorado.  I may have to adjust my schedule.  :)

When I read It's Not About the Bike in the winter of 2003, I became a Lance fan.  I'll always be a Lance fan but now I'm also a rabid cycling fan.  Thanks Lance.  I'm even more excited about the Ride For The Roses now.



LIVESTRONG

No comments:

Post a Comment