Monday, July 12, 2010

Races and proposals

Saturday I raced in the North Boulder Park Crit, my first crit in a while. Fitness wise, I felt really good. I was never, as Paul Sherwin would say, in a "spot of bother". Yet, my I didn't feel good skill-wise/mentally. It was odd. I need to get out and do some skills work or something. On the plus side, my teammate won. I only wish I could feel like I contributed, but really he was just that damn strong.

Sunday morning Christine and I went down to the Boulder Reservoir to watch my friend Matt compete in the Peak Tri. Really, we weren't there entirely to watch him compete. He tipped me off a couple weeks ago that he was going to propose to his girlfriend (another good friend of mine), so I just had to be there.

We got to the Boulder Reservoir in time to see Matt finish the bike leg of the race and then we hung out in the shade while he ran his 10k. As the time neared for him to be almost done we made our way over to the finish area. I was actually nervous. Not because I didn't think she'd say yes, but because I wanted everything to go according to plan.

A couple weeks ago, he had a T-shirt printed up that said "Mari Marry Me??", and the plan was to put that on towards the end of the run. Mari, of course, was wondering why it took him longer on his run than usual. :) He came around the corner wearing his new shirt, and she was at first confused that he was wearing something different. Then she read it, and emotion ensued. It was great. Matt went through the finish line, then pulled the ring out of his pocket.

Matt running with his new shirt:


Mari realizes, as she's taking a picture, what Matt's shirt says:


The reaction:


At the finish:


1 comment: