Thursday, January 21, 2010

Food rules

I hate it when people make up rules for how I'm supposed to eat. If you've ever gone out to eat with sushi snobs, you know what I'm talking about. Everybody seems to have some tidbit of information about the "proper" way to eat sushi that they heard from some guy "in-the-know" (who was most likely a hipster douchebag). I saw this sushi etiquette post yesterday:

(Via Clusterflock)

- I've also never seen anyone (besides me) grab a piece of sushi with my fingers. Next time you're eating with me, I don't want to catch any crap for it.

- I'm the only person I know who puts wasabi on each individual piece instead of in the soy sauce. And I don't care if you turn your soy sauce into a salty wasabi soup.

- Don't rub your chopsticks together? How about I don't like splinters in my tongue.

I guess my point is this: Fuck food rules. Food is meant to be enjoyed, so just eat. Put your elbows on the table. Use the wrong fork for you salad. Lick the plate clean. I don't care, just enjoy the damn food however you see fit. (Okay, I admit licking the plate would be a little odd.)

I love some of the comments from Clusterflock:
"I like wasabi in my soy sauce. I don’t care what the sushi chef, who is probably Mexican anyway, thinks."

"A piece of etiquette that I was taught was that never rest your chopsticks pointing at anyone at the table, it displays your desire to stab them."
Yeah, I'm that passive-aggressive that I'm trying to send you a message with my chopsticks to watch your back. I'm totally going to start doing this on purpose and see who calls me on it.

7 comments:

  1. I'm TOTALLY gonna call you out for murderous intent!
    -owen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should eat sushi with us more often, but not at a restaurant that has such crappy chopsticks that you have to get rid of splinters. We often eat Nigiri with our hands, wouldn't ruin an expensive piece of fish by drowning it in wasabi-laden soy (and wouldn't buy such a disgusting piece of fish that it needed to be drowned), and we sometimes directly tip our chef if they're really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But, how do you really feel about sushi eating????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh, I better wait until Christine is in town or I'll be in some deep water. It's for your own benefit too: She's way better to sit across that table from than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think all 4 of you should just bring yourselves to Estrellita for catch of the day...whenever we become good enough at fishing to ensure a daily catch.
    And you should bring your own filleting skills because, while tasty, our sushi pieces were hacked into rough rectangles.
    Carol really wants a spear gun. I'm afraid of bloody fish + Carol = shark appetizer but many people have them onboard.

    ReplyDelete