Sunday, October 4, 2009

Burp

I raced yesterday in the Frisco CX. Things didn't quite go my way.

The course wasn't super technical but it had some stuff I found to be tricky. I wasn't feel super confident about bike my skills, but my legs at least felt good. Because of my decent finish in Breck a couple weeks ago, I got a call-up to the second row. The race starts on a long climb and I was determined not to squander this good start opportunity.

For once, I actually felt like I had a good start. I clipped in quickly and took off, holding my position into the first corner. I was surprised at how slow we were going through the early turns. Apparently I'm not the only one who wasn't feeling confident in bike handling.

I bobbled on a loose corner, and I couldn't figure out why. I took a good line, and wasn't doing anything different than my warmup laps. Then I bobbled again on a 180 corner. WTF? A couple more shitty corners later, and I noticed that my tire had gone flat. It must have been pretty bad earlier and I finally burped out all the air from my tubeless Ksyrium experiment.

This is the second year in a row where I had a mechanical on the first lap at Frisco. Maybe it's just not my place to race. :) I jogged to the pit and milled about for a bit while Dave K convinced me to take one of his wheels. I paid $25, I might as well use that course as a good practice. In the end, I somehow managed to pass half of the field and finish 29th out of about 60.


No comments:

Post a Comment