Thursday, July 16, 2009

Car vs. Bike

On Tuesday, someone on our lunch ride got hit by a car really bad.

Twice a week, a group of cyclists meets for the TTH (Tuesday-Thursday) ride. It's the local go-fast lunch ride. This is where I go if I want a good speed workout with people who are going to push me up to my limit and beyond. I regularly get dropped (not that that's saying much).

The route of the day took us south near Windsor and includes a climb that always breaks up the group. My legs still recovering from Sunday's crit, I got popped off the back on this climb and I was surprised to see one of the stronger riders, Stuart Culp, also struggling. He must have slowed down even more, because he didn't join our 6 man chase group. I eventually separated from the chase group and rode hard solo back to work.

Later in the afternoon, a friend stopped by my office to tell me that Stuart had been hit by a car shortly after he had separated from our group. Both he and the car were traveling in the same direction and I can only assume at this point that the driver accidentally drifted into the shoulder. Stuart was alone and there's no reason to believe he wouldn't have been riding in the shoulder (which is really large on that road).

Details are sparse, but one of his friends and teammates came to the TTH ride today to give us some information. Stuart underwent emergency surgery to repair two broken shoulders. I believe he also broke some ribs and has a whole host of other injuries I'm sure. The bottom line, and scariest thing, is that he hasn't regained consciousness since the accident. His body can heal, but he needs to wake up.

I hear these stories all the time, but it's hard when it hits so close to home. It's different when it's someone whose wheel you've followed countless times. It was hard to stay dry-eyed as his friend gave us the news. I'm hoping for good news when I get back from vacation so we can throw Stuart a get well party.

1 comment:

  1. i'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I hope he wakes up soon. :(

    ReplyDelete