Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Clavicle update

It's been 6.5 weeks since I broke my collarbone, and I went back to the doctor today for one more x-ray. I forgot to get a copy of the x-ray this time, but it looks pretty similar to the last one.

I told the doctor I was hoping it would have looked better than that, but he said everything looked great. He pointed out to me how the ends of bones are smoother which indicates that new bone is growing. He also explained to me that calcification is one of the final things to occur in new bone, and that's why it still looks like the bone is broken in the x-ray. There is in fact new bone and he proved it by pushing on the bone and seeing both ends of it move together.

So I guess that's good news. He said I can do some skiing, but stay off the bumps for a bit. It would take a pretty good fall for the bone to re-brake at this point. He also said I can ride my bike outside but that I should wait a bit before I try the new indoor track in Boulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment