Sunday, November 30, 2008

iPhone headphone fix

The most annoying thing about the first generation iPhone that I have is the headphone jack. It's recessed, which most headphones can't be plugged into the iPhone. The Apple earbuds, of course, fit. The problem with the earbuds is that they don't fit in my ear so they're not very useful to me.

My Etymotic ER-6i's, however, fit and sound way better than Apple's but they are among the many headphones that don't fit in the iPhone. This week when my Etymotics developed a short in the cord, I decided to try transplanting the earpieces onto the Apple wire. It worked!

Now I have some comfortable headphones that I can use with my iPhone, plus it also works as a hands-free headset and remote control for the iPod functions on the phone. Sweet.

2008-11-30_01_etymotic_-_apple_earbuds

4 comments:

  1. Nice to see that expensive RIT education paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are also adapters...
    ...like this:
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=204966965&listingid;=29951963&dcaid;=17902
    Though I don't know if it's as cool as your solution. I use one like this and have another that's a short cord w/a built-in volume control and microphone so I can use any headphones and still answer incoming calls.
    One of the few lame points on the iPhone (fixed in the second gen, I think).
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: There are also adapters...
    Unless I buy about 10 of them, I'd never have one when I needed it. :) I had (and lost) an adapter like the one in your link, but it made the phone nearly impossible to use in your pocket. I later bought a flexible one that I liked better.
    As far as using an adapter with a built in microphone, doesn't that put the mic way far away from your mouth?
    It's kind of a moot point now, since I broke my phone and had to buy a 3G anyway. It's a shame. The battery life on the 3G is horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: There are also adapters...
    The adapter w/the microphone has a clip to you can put the mic wherever you need it. But I really don't use it that much -- just end up talking on the phone the "normal" way.
    Bummer about the 3G battery life. I've been listening to a bunch of streaming radio from Pandora and Wunder Radio and that'll take a chunk out of the battery (typically listening over wifi). But streaming Christmas music and KUNC anywhere I go is all good.
    Glad the shoulder's coming along. (Still looked pretty broken in that last x-ray, but I guess the docs know what they're talking about...)
    Mike

    ReplyDelete