Saturday, August 16, 2008

A rainy day at the airport

Today I had to bid adieu to Christine as she left for Paris. The morning started with plenty of raind and a trip to the airport where we dropped off Livia for her early flight. I can't believe the rain we've gotten the past few days.

After killing some time at REI we arrived back at the airport with plenty of time before Christine's flight, which was good because we had some luggage issues to deal with. We knew her suitcase was going to be over the 50 pound limit, but we didn't realize it would be over the 70 pound limit. (In fact, we didn't know there was a 70 pound limit.) It seems like the the fee for luggage goes up exponentially once you hit 70 pounds because her 80 pound bag and her bicycle was going to cost something like $400. Wow! However, since she was flying business, she was allowed 3 pieces of luggage so we pulled the heaviest thing out of her bag: 18 pounds of bicycle trainer. The Denver airport has a post office, so we bought a couple shipping boxes and tape and created a large box for her trainer which we checked as luggage. $10 in packaging supplies saved hundreds in luggage fees.

We were lucky to have a very helpful gate agent and we'll be sure to let Delta know about it. He was very patient and helpful with our luggage and some other confusion with Christine's ticket. Since Christine was looking helpless on crutches, they gave me a pass to get through security and help her to the gate. It's a rarity these days to be able to hang at the gate before saying goodbye, and I was thankful for the extra time together before we said goodbye for a few weeks.

4 comments:

  1. Bike is up and running on the trainer! Thank you for driving me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the work paid off! :)
    Bike and trainer arrived happily and are set up in the living room. Yay! :)
    Thanks for helping me with all my crap. :) I loved that they let you come to the gate with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We missed you at PSSB last night :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was nice of the airport.
    I wish I was flying business.

    ReplyDelete