Sunday, June 22, 2008

Race follow up

Yesterday's race is part of a 2-day race. The second day is a hill climb that consists of the first 18 miles from the first day. I contemplated doing the hill climb, but in the ended I decided against it. For one thing, it's $40 to do the same hill I climbed yesterday. Also, it didn't seem likely that too many people would be racing it, and I decided that I didn't need to add "Top 10 in a 10 person race" to my palmarès.

Instead I headed down to Longmont to do a group ride, and it ended up being more than I bargained for. Having made the last minute decision to ride, I rushed down to Ziggy's coffee shop in Longmont where I met up with Isaac. Soon after, several other people showed up and we had a sizable group. We rode from the coffee shop up to Ward, which isn't a ride I had done before. Wow that's a long climb. We didn't ride really fast, thankfully, but it was pretty constant climbing for about 1.5 hours once we got on to Left Hand Canyon Rd.

We stopped at the top for a refill of water and some cookies from the local shop. Then we continued on to the Peak to Peak Highway and down Highway 7 into Lyons. The other 4 guys were haulin' down 7 into Lyons, but I just couldn't do it. I was going into the red zone just to try and stay on their wheels, and I finally decided that I want to coast down hill. We all met up again as we got closer to Lyons and rode back to Longmont together.

So how to you follow up a 64 mile road race? How about another 62 miles and 5000 feet of climbing? I've burned about 5000 calories in riding the last couple days. Tonight I think I should pig out and then do a taste test between New Belgium Fat Tire in a bottles and cans.

2 comments:

  1. Really? you haven't done that before? although we've been doing hwy 7 to Ward then down left hand..way easier... :) Nice hear someone else thinks it's hard :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miles
    Ah, the folly of youth. Lets see how many miles you eill be doing at age 62.

    ReplyDelete