Thursday, May 22, 2008

Prairie Dog

I always knew it would happen, and today it finally did. I hit a prairie dog on my bike today.

There's a paved path through a prairie near my house, and I frequently ride on it en route to the nearby hills. Certain parts of the trail are lined with prairie dog holes, and the little critters are pretty fearless. After having them run out if front of me numerous times, I'm pretty alert. I've had some close calls, but I've always avoided them.

On my way back to the house today I was blazing across the trail at almost 30 MPH. I was keeping my eye on the dogs lining the path, but the one that ran out in front of me was hiding out in the grass. He darted out on across the path, I made one move to try to avoid him, but there was no chance. I always thought that I'd crash when I finally hit one of these things but I managed to stay upright.

Prairie dogs are by and large a nuisance around here, but that doesn't keep me from feeling terrible about it. Poor stupid animal.

4 comments:

  1. Yikes. I'm glad you aren't coated in road rash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to sound like an animal rights activist or anything, but I hope you killed it (I jest -- kinda). I guess 30mph is a little fast to "prairie dog hop" it...
    When I worked at IBM in Longmont, I'd see a minimum of 10 freshly killed prairie dogs every single day, usually on the parking lot roads. Obviously the fear of moving vehicles hasn't made it into their genetic code yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. rodent killing
    It's probably karmic warm-up meant to toughen you up for rabbit hunting later this summer when you little friends start raiding your garden.
    seriously, bummer though. riding the 24 hours of Moab, these little desert rats run in front of you ALL the time. 18hours after the start, the sun rises to a killing field of rats on the trail. it's a little morbid, but what can ya do, stop racing for a rat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that critter when I road home late across the prairie, four little paws in the air. I ride that section all the time and haven't hit one yet but have come close. They're unpredictable, all of a sudden you hear their toenails scrapping on the concrete as they try to get up to top speed (not all that fast).
    My closest call was actually with a rabbit. They tend to parallel the trail then dart across. One darted at my front wheel and I can only guess somehow he pushed off my wheel; he cleared the top of my front wheel just in front of my headset!
    Glad you didn't go down.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete