Sunday, March 16, 2008

What are you watching

Some notes on a few movies I've watched recently:

The King of Kong - Livia tipped me to this movie. It follows Steve Wiebe's mission to break the world record high score on Donkey Kong. It's an interesting look into an unusual competitive gaming culture, and it also has a great good versus evil vibe as Steve battles with the "old guard" who just doesn't seem to want to let his record go. Dad, if you haven't already seen this, put it on your Netflix queue. I'm sure you'll like it.

This Film is Not Yet Rated - I had no idea the movie rating process is so arbitrary and secretive. Watch this, and be shocked like I was.

Mr. Death - Fred Leuchter was once a sought after expert on execution equipment. His rise is followed by a great fall after he is hired by a revisionist historian to do some research on the gas chambers at Auschwitz. It's shocking what this guy convinces himself of, given the fact that he's running "tests" on things that are way out of his area of expertise.

F**k - A documentary about the F word. Not a must see, but it was funny and entertaining. I particularly liked Billy Connolly.

5 comments:

  1. I'm putting "Mr Death" on my queue. Have you seen "Taxi to the Dark Side"? I just saw it tonight and it was really well done and very intense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw King of Kong. Awesome. The old guard was a complete dick - but at least he was styling in his medieval beard and mullet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen Taxi yet, but it's playing at the small theater up here. Maybe I'll go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks
    Thanks for the movie suggestions I can add to my Netflix queue. I was concerned because I was down to less than 350 movies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! Always looking for more things for the queue.

    ReplyDelete