Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Bike report and bike fit

Verdict on the new bike - Love it. Prior to getting the new bike, I did some back-to-back test rides against the Felt. At the time, I wasn't sure if the bikes really felt different or if I was suffering from some placebo effect. After last Saturday's long ride, I am 100% happy that I got the Tarmac. It feels like it fits me so much better. I love it and it looks great.

I got in for a bike fit with Andy Pruitt on Monday with my new bike. I've seen him before and it really helped so I decided to go in for another evaluation to take care of some knee pain that I have been experiencing over the winter. He made some good changes. A fair amount of work went into my shoes (which sucks because my new shoes haven't arrived, so I'll probably need to go back and have them make the same adjustments on my new shoes). He also wants me to switch pedals. Again, that sucks since I just got these pedals. Other noticeable changes were my saddle height and reach (distance to the handlebars). I doubt it's helping me produce more power, but it should help prevent me from getting an overuse injury.

4 comments:

  1. We'll have to get a picture of us riding together with our Tarmacs (we'll be the poster children for Specialized).
    Which pedals did Andy recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have seen it last weekend on the team ride. Jeremy and I both had Tarmacs, PowerTap and Garmin computers on our bars, same helmet, sunglasses, hat. It was all pretty queer.
    Andy recommended I get Speedplay Zeros (if I want to stick with Speedplays). The reasons is that they can set an "end point" for the float so my foot isn't sliding around all the time. I don't mind the movement in my foot, but it is wasted motion and it probably keeps my knees from tracking correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even after seeing Andy last season, I'm starting to get a little pain on some of my longer rides on the rollers. Maybe I need to go back.
    But I'll wait for my new shoes to show up. I'm also thinking about switching to Zero's so I can run the same shoes on road and track. There is a track zero.
    It's interesting he changed your saddle height from one bike to the other?

    ReplyDelete