Monday, December 17, 2007

New Year, New Job

Following in the footsteps of Shana and Tyler, I too have decided to change jobs. Is it something in the air? Starting January 7th, I’ll be working for Avago Technologies in their ASIC design lab.


Once upon a time, HP spun off some of their divisions into a company called Agilent. A couple years ago, Agilent sold off its semiconductor products group to some investors who created Avago Technologies.

As some of you may recall, I used to work for Agilent technologies. In fact, I worked in their ASIC design lab. The position I’ll be taking up at Avago is pretty much the exact position I had for most of the time I was at Agilent. It’s funny how things come full circle some times.

Leaving HP was a hard decision. Over the 4.5 years I was with the Workstation division, I worked on over 10 different industry leading workstation designs. We went from being small players in the game to being a market share leader worldwide, and it’s hard to leave that kind of success behind. I’m proud of what our team has done and I’m sure it will to continue to flourish in the years to come.

I’m not particularly unhappy with my job, but I’d really like to do some more design work and that’s not something that was going to happen at HP. It's just the way that business works right now in order to be cost competitive. The job is becoming more and more about integrating solutions rather than inventing them.

In addition to the work content, there are other reasons why I decided this was a good time to leave. Without going into detail, the upper management has lately made some decisions that, to me, say the don't value their people as much as they used to. They say these changes are being made to bring HP more in line with industry standards. There was a time when HP didn’t want to be on par with the industry; they wanted to be superior. It feels less like that now, and it feels like the things that made HP a special place to work are slowly being chipped away.

I'll miss HP, but it's time to try something new. I still think HP is a great company, and I hope they continue to do well (and do good) so I can come back some day.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, Avago is in Fort Collins. I'll be working in the same building as when I first moved to Colorado. It's also on the same campus that I'm on now, so moving stuff from my old office to my new office ought to be a piece of cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! Way to go. Tis the season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats
    awesome man, great to hear it. Has to feel good to get out. I've been contemplating the same thing for similar reasons but I haven't found any good fits just yet.
    I commend you for not being afraid to change it up! Let me know if they need any Linux stuff done.
    -Ian

    ReplyDelete