Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Grand Canyon Part 3 - Roadtrip home

After we left the canyon, we drove to Page, AZ. Not exactly your hippest town in the world, and I wouldn't recommend it for your next vacation destination. Christine and I started our road trip with a stop in the Glen Canyon Dam visitor center. There's a lot of controversy surrounding that dam (and the amazing canyon that they flooded) and it was really lame that they didn't mention it in *any* of the educational displays. The dam and the Lake Powell have done a lot of great things for the area, but to not even address any of the controversy is completely dumb.

After Page, we drove up to Durango via Monument Valley. Monument Valley is pretty cool, but I must admit that it would have been way more impressive if we had stopped there before we experienced the awesome scenery of the Grand Canyon.

2007-10-05_06_monument valley

We stopped in the small town of Bluff, UT for some lunch and we stumbled on the type of road food place that I imagine when I think of a road trip. It's no gourmet cuisine, by the old lady that was running the place solo cooked up a tasty ham and cheese.

2007-10-05_17_dairy cafe, bluff, ut

Note the "Beer to go only" sign
2007-10-05_13_dairy cafe, bluff, ut - beer to go

On the last day of our trip, we drove from Durango back to Fort Collins. The drive from Durango to Ouray is pretty spectacular. The low clouds and moisture in the air made for some cool sights, although they were difficult to capture with a camera. We stopped in Silverton for a bit and checked out some shops. One of the places we stopped was a combination coffee/bike shop. What a great idea. I could probably pass the time in a town like Silverton playing with bikes while Christine serves up coffee...

2007-10-06_08_view driving between durango and silverton

2007-10-06_14_view down valley into ouray

We also stopped in Montrose for a bit to shop at the farmers market and find some lunch. We found a great place called Daily Bread and enjoyed some great breakfast food for lunch.

2007-10-06_19_breakfast at daily bread in montrose, co

It was a great trip, but it's always nice to get back home.

12 comments:

  1. nice shots. Bike and coffee shop... hhmmmm.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Thanks for posting all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unrelated question: What kind of motorcycle does Christine have? If I don’t keep the Vespa I may look into a motorcycle since I like the idea of a manual transmission. I am only 5’ 4” though and 105 lbs so I need a small bike. I like both Sport Bike and Touring Bike looks. Let me know! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous pictures. Sounds like a great trip. There's really nothing like being away from home to make you appreciate it more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine has a Kawasaki Ninja 250. This is the best picture I can find right now:

    Christine is only 5 feet tall, and you can see how comfortable she fits on it. It's a great bike for a small person because it's pretty small. They're also nice because you can find used ones relatively cheap. A lot of people learn on them and then decide to get something bigger. Consequently, they frequently have scratches, but I don't think that's much of a bother. I paid somewhere under $2k for her's, and it was only a couple years old.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks soooooooooo much! Fantastic! Erik loves he lod Kawasaki KZ650 but is the market for the new Verses (sp?) At this point with all the gear he makes me wear I feel like a tard on a scooter so a motercycle may be my next move - too bad the Ninja doesn't come in pink!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK big odd question - if we came down for dinner or lunch one weekend would she (an you) be willing to let me ride it? Just in a parking lot, just forward and back very slowly. I learned on a scooter so the shifting is diferent but I promice I'd just want to get a very little feel for it. ;) Just an idea and I tottaly understaind if you say no. erica@poetcandance.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. No problem. Just let me know when.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You gues rock! I'll arange a time Erik and I can come down - hang out - dinner maybe. Just le me know your direct e-mail ect. erica@poetcandance.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Switching from a scooter to a bike is easy, since you already understand how the clutch reacts (even if it's in a slightly different place).
    I learned on a cute little old vespa, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool! Hope we can come up soon!

    ReplyDelete