Monday, February 5, 2007

Documentaries

Whoa, I'm a crazy bachelor. In addition to exciting things like laundry and grocery shopping, I watched a couple documentaries over the weekend:

Murderball: They may be in wheelchairs, but I wouldn't exactly call them disabled. These guys are playing full-contact, full-speed rugby in wheelchairs. At a high level, the movie follows the US quad rugby team in their run up to the 2004 Paralympics in Athens (where, more than anything, they want to beat Canada). The documentary also digs into the personal lives of the athletes and you learn more about their daily lives and relationships. It's a cool look into a world that I never know existed and well worth the watch.

Jesus Camp: This could be the scariest movie of 2006. I had to watch this one just because some ironic clips that The Daily Show played involving Ted Haggard (the evangelical pastor who recently resigned due to some *alleged* drug use and homosexual behavior). A yearly evangelical "boot camp" for children is the subject of this movie. I like to watch this sort of thing for the cringe factor, and to remind me that there are some....interesting viewpoints out there. (I liked the scene where someone was home-schooling their child and telling them that global warming is a made up phenomenon. Isn't the debate over on that one?) I found it interesting that even the evangelicals aren't happy with President Bush. If possible, I recommend watching this one a pieces, so your head doesn't blow up.

I'll get away from the documentaries now and get back to watching the UK version of The Office (which is pretty funny).

3 comments:

  1. Those are both high up in my documentary list. Have you watched "Capturing the Friedmans" and "Spellbound"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember if I watch Spellbound or not. I know I wanted to watch it but I don't know if I ever did. I'll check out Capturing the Friedmans though. I hadn't heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Murderball
    I also found Murderball very interesting. It was amazing what the people in wheelchairs could do.

    ReplyDelete