Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Thumbs up to The North Face

I bought a North Face jacket at the REI garage sale. As with most items at the garage sales, it's there because there is some issue, and in the case of my jacket the problem was a broken zipper pull. (Normally not a big deal anyway, but the way it was broken precluded the usual fix of looping a key ring through the zipper.) The jacket was brand new and half price due to the blemish, so I decided to buy it.

I then promptly sent it to the North Face for repair. I wasn't entirely sure if it would be covered under their warranty (since it was sold as a second), but I thought it was worth the shot. Even if they charged me I figure it would be pretty minimal and worth if for the good deal I got on the jacket.

Last week I got my jacket back with the following note:

We are sorry. But this shell jacket is marked as a second. It was sold "as is" and is not covered under The North Face warranty.

Bummer. I thought they had just sent it back to me unrepaired. But wait, there's more:

But we will repair it free of charge as a special service
--The North Face Warranty Department


Nice! Thanks TNF for standing by your gear.

1 comment:

  1. I have a NF jacket that came with neoprene gloves sewn into the sleeves with half fingers - but the neoprene kept getting snagged on the velcro also on the jacket which was really annoying. They removed the glvoes and you can't tell they were there. It was also a second so apparently they've become smarter about that.

    ReplyDelete