Sunday, January 21, 2007

Not according to plan

Things just didn't go according to plan this morning. We woke up this morning with the intention of going skate skiing up at Happy Jack (in Wyoming). It was sort of a last minute decision last night, and we didn't plan on the fact that the gear rental places wouldn't be open until noon. As we didn't want to wait around that long, we eventually decided to go ski touring at Young's Gulch (in the Poudre Canyon) with Owen and Erin.

The trail head is located a short ways off the road. A short *snowy* way, that is. Halfway down the 100 yard road we got the Subaru stuck. The stock all-season (a.k.a. no season) tires that Subaru installs are crap. It's a good thing we brought our avalanche shovels. :) It took some work, but we eventually got the car unstuck. And then we got it stuck again as we tried to get the car out to the street for a safer parking spot. The snow was deep, but not enough to make the car bottom out. The really problem was some of the pits that were under the new snow, and the tires couldn't get enough traction to get out of them. Mental note, get snow tires if we still have the car next year.

After that, things went well. It's pretty unusual for there to be enough snow on Young's to ski, so it was fun to get out there. Kuzca had a great time running around too. Usually she gets bogged down in powder, but the trail was paked down well enough for her to run all over. That ought to tire her out for the next couple days.

4 comments:

  1. whaddya gonna do. John got the subi with snow tires stuck right after the first big storm in Dec.... but typically they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting the subaru stuck was sucky! I was shocked! New tires, for sure, are needed, if we own it next winter.
    Our little ski trip up Young's Gulch (one of my most favorite hikes in the area) kicked my butt.
    As if trying to keep up with Ryan isn't hard enough, Owen and his fabulous (and fun) marathon-running girlfriend, Erin, were there to set the fast pace, too. I was always just trying to catch up! I think *both* Kuzca and I will be tired for days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the stock no season tires - they blow. My Hankook (sp?) (Korean) performance snow tires rock the house on my WRX!
    Don't know if you you've tried this before, but sometimes you can use your floormats under the wheels to get unstuck. I guess if the snow is just too deep, you're probably SOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's qualify that statement by saying that the snow was deep enough that I was pushing it with the top of my grill, and that I came all the way from Summit County through the snowstorm without getting stuck until I got to my subdivision. :)

    ReplyDelete