Monday, January 22, 2007

Hippie bags

We have a large collection of plastic grocery bags at our house. I normally don't feel too bad that we're wasting all that plastic because we save them for re-use on dog walks (I'll spare you the details), but we realistically we have enough bags for a years worth of dog walks right now. Every time we do our weekly shop we end up with probably 10 more bags, and if we walk the dog once a day that leaves us with an increasing amount of bags in storage. Eventually I fear that they will take over the house.

A while ago Christine bought some cloth bags from the Vitamin Cottage, and they've been hanging by our door waiting for us to not forget them when we go to the store. I can't tell you how many times I walk by them on my way to the grocery store and forget to grab them. Last night I managed to remember (only because I pulled a plastic dog walking bag out of my pocket on the way out the door).

With our 3 reusable bags we were able to carry all of our week's groceries, which would have easily taken 10 plastic bags. Not only was it great not to stuff a bunch more bags into another cranny in the house, but it only took one trip to get all of the groceries into the house. It's really a win all around.

6 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about buying some of those cloth bags, too. I didn't realize they would be able to hold so much. That's definitely worth it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wild Oats gives us a .05 cent bag credit - it's not much but it makes me remember my bag ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't recycle your excess bags?
    I can recycle bags of plastic bags in my regular recycling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Dyers showed me a cool trash bin they bought at ?Target that has little hooks so you can use grocery bags as liners. It seemed like a great way to re-use in addition to reducing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the past, our curbside didn't take bags (I'm not sure the reason). I think they would actually take them now. Ideally, though, I'd like to improve the "reduce" part of the equation.
    It's my understanding (and I'm no chemical engineer) that when things get recycled, the materials generally don't retain the same level of usefulness. There's a term for it, but I'm at a loss (and the book I know I read it in has been loaned to a friend). I'm not sure how much "usefulness" you need to get out of plastic to make a grocery bag, but whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle and I have at least 10 of them around the house. They are great for toting assorted small things around, or lugging books to sell (or to buy). We keep one or two in the back of the car 'just in case'. Now for poop control we bought a roll of bags that fit onto the leash. I can't find it on the web, but I can send you the info. There also seems to be a pleathura of biodegradable ones / ones that you can flush down the toilet.

    ReplyDelete