Monday, January 8, 2007

Future expats?

Just like Drew Bledsoe and Ty Law, Christine and I may find ourselves to be ex-pats.

Christine's company is growing and in the near future they may want to move someone to Europe to handle customer support. We've kicked around the idea before, so Christine brought it up to her management and they sound somewhat into it. From our standpoint, it could be a cool chance to live in Europe and have someone else foot the bill of moving us. Our choice of location right now is the UK, mainly due to the fact that I am a uni-lingual loser and it would probably be easier for me to find work someplace where I speak the language (kind of). There's still a lot up in the air about this, but in preparation we've started the process of getting my dog approved to enter the UK as it takes 6 months.

It would be cool to live over seas for a little while, but I also have reservations about leaving. In no particular order:
  • Moving across town is a pain. Moving across the ocean is probably worse. At least it would force us to trim down our belongings.

  • Financially it would suck to sell our house now instead of being able to sell it for more when the Fort Collins market picks back up

  • There's a lot of fun races to miss while I'm gone. I guess I'd have to get my butt kicked by Euros instead.

  • The weather in Colorado is great for someone who likes to do things outdoors. London, not so much

  • When I try to move back, how easy will it be to find a job in Colorado?


In similar news, Christine may get to move to Paris (temporarily) to perform some customer installation and training. That be pretty sweet to have a flat in Paris, and I think I'd have to take some time off work to visit. :)

4 comments:

  1. You should go. And then invite us all for a house-warming party! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. John and I kicked it around as well. If he didn't recieve his current job in Denver, we were going to move to the UK. I still think "what if". I think it would awesome to do for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I could live abroad permanently but I would *love* to do it for a few years.
    Maybe Christine can support you and you can play househusband in Paris? Cooler than the UK, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do it!
    Mate moving abroad is fantastic. Skip the UK and the UK prices and go somewhere else... I hear Australia is nice [and very close to europe] :)

    ReplyDelete