Saturday, July 22, 2006

Today's ride

With Christine stuck in New Hampshire for the weekend, I figured it would be a time to get our for a long ride. I set out at 7:30 this morning to do a loop around Carter Lake followed by a trip up Buckhorn Canyon and Rist Canyon.

What a killer day. The route was: Fort Collins->Loveland->Carter Lake->Eden Valley->Masonville->Buckhorn->Rist->Fort Collins. My plan to refill water bottles in Masonville was foiled since the store wasn't open for another couple hours. Since I was already just about out of water at that point the only real option was to ride up to Horsetooth Mountain Park, which was 3 miles uphill and in the opposite direction that I wanted to go. Ugh, but it was worth it for the water.

Buckhorn Canyon is a killer. I haven't ridden it in the south to north direction yet this year and I had forgotten how steep some of those pitches are. I did alright for a while, but then I hit the proverbial wall. The climb up to the top of Rist Canyon was sloooow and hard. I was really glad for the long descent into Bellvue. :)

87 miles, 6400 feet of climbing


Here's a map of the ride:


And the elevation profile (in black):

3 comments:

  1. Holy crap. That's all I can say. Way to go on that ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are ca-ray-zee, but in that WOW that's awesome kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent Saturday looking at boats online and then sitting on a boat for 3 hours. Somehow that doesn't seem as burly ;)

    ReplyDelete