Tuesday, July 11, 2006

New Phone

I got a new phone last month. My old one still worked reasonably well and I liked it but I saw the opportunity to combine some of my devices. My new phone (the Motorola SLVR L7) can play MP3's (and comes with iTunes built in). Instead of carrying my phone and MP3 player when I ride, I can now carry just my phone (which isn't much bigger than my old phone alone). Ideally, I was hoping to listen to my tunes over bluetooth with some Oakley RAZRWIRE sunglasses. They have a built bluetooth earpiece. As of yet, however, the phone doesn't have the correct bluetooth profile needed (A2DP) to stream music over Bluetooth. Why Motorola would make a multimedia phone without this profile is beyond me. I'm hoping the phone hacking wizards will be able to put something together.

My new phone also takes me into the realm of text messaging. For all the people who've sent text messages to me and been ignored (my old phone didn't have good support for it), now I can get your messages. There's a good chance I'll still choose to ignore you, but that's another issue entirely.

I'm not a huge fan of text messaging, but there's at least one really good use: Google SMS. Suppose you need the phone number for Big City Burrito in Fort Collins. Just send the message "Big City Burrito Fort Collins CO" to "GOOGL" and it will come back to you with the information you need almost instantly. It's really cool. The Google SMS web page has some more examples of things you can do.

And while I'm talking about text messaging, let me take this opportunity to call out liv_e_uh on her SMS addiction. Even though she knew I was driving at the time, she still texted me. Maybe she just wants me drive off the road into an abutment. :P

5 comments:

  1. Maybe Christine was driving...and if not, I knew she could read.
    Harumph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need the "just f-ing with you" icon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, at least it wasn't a standing knee deep in tofu text message. Those tend to stay in your phone for eons and somehow won't delete.

    ReplyDelete