Sunday, July 2, 2006

An Inconvenient Truth

HP has been sponsoring screenings of "An Inconvenient Truth" around the country, I guess to demonstrate their commitment to the environment. Last weekend they had ascreening for employees in Fort Collins and Christine and I scored a couple tickets.

Apparently, Al Gore has had some free time since '01 and has been traveling around the world giving presentations about global warming. Basically, the movie is his presentation (or parts of it) interspersed with some other clips and voiceovers.

I'm certainly not a climatologist or environmental expert so I can't vouch for the science used, but I found the information interesting and compelling. Well, as compelling as Al Gore can be. I intend to search online for the global warming skeptics' viewpoint, but even if everything in the movie is somehow false I don't see how anyone could argue against doing simple things to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions.

I hope a lot of people see the movie and give some thought to the impact they have on the world. I know a lot of people are turned off by Al Gore, but hopefully they can look beyond the presenter and understand the message. Yes, the movie is a bit self-serving at times. Yes, he takes a couple jabs at Bush. Yes, Al Gore's hair is disappearing faster than the polar ice caps. Get over it and see the movie.

2 comments:

  1. It's on our list, but the times haven't worked out for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saw it last night and it was very powerful despite Mr. Gore's pregnancy ;)
    It did make me take stock of my consumption.

    ReplyDelete