Sunday, October 2, 2005

Grand Canyon Journal - Sunday September 11 2005 - Day 9

River covered: Mile 173 to Mile 212. Camped at Pumpkin Springs

Not much of an exciting day. The main goal was to get down river and set ourselves up to be at Diamond Creek for a 10:30AM pickup tomorrow. The sun was a real scorcher all day and we were in a part of the canyon that doesn't get much shade. Jumping in the river at lunch felt soooo nice. We went through Lava Falls today, which is a category 10 rapid created by one of the Canyon's many lava flows. I hate to say it, but it paled in comparison to some of the other rapids we went through.

Rob scouts Lava Falls

One of the more exciting things today was finding a baby scorpion. It was crawling up my leg on the raft. It's pretty rare to see scorpion in the Canyon, and probably even more rare to see a baby one. Rob pulled the boat over to a beach so I could set it in the sand.

Our camp was just downstream from a place Rob called "Tapeats Museum" for the really cool "sculptures" of Tapeats Sandstone carved by the water. I was fishing when Rob took a few people over there, so I ended up checking it out myself a little while later. It was worth the short trip.







In the evening we had a "no-talent" show where people told stories, (bad) jokes, performed skits, whatever. I wrote a haiku about dinner blowing over in the wind. It sucks to think that tonight is my last night in the Canyon.


Rob explains to us the various theories on how the Canyon was formed

No comments:

Post a Comment