Monday, October 3, 2005

Grand Canyon Journal - Monday September 12 2005 - Day 10 - The final day

River covered: Mile 212 to 225. Pulled out rafts at Diamond Creek

The final day is bitter sweet for me. On one hand I can't wait to get home, but on the other hand I'm bummed that my awesome is over. I find it a little irritating to see how happy some people were that the trip was finally over. As if it was all some horrible experience of camping in the desert.

We landed the boat at Diamond Creek where there was a bus waiting to take us back to Flagstaff. In the way back we stopped at an ice cream place on Route 66. The whole route 66 thing is pretty cheesy, but it was amusing to see all the places that are still trying to hold on to this particular piece of nostalgia.

Now I'm back in civilization and ready to get home. It's a long drive and it's sure to be boring because we're taking 2 highways: I-40 and I-25. 800 miles of good 'ole interstate driving. Ugh! I need to take another Grand Canyon vacation. An oar trip next time though.


Diamond Peak - The elevation of Diamond Peak is about the same as Lee's Ferry, so it gives you a good visual of how far the river drops





The raftOur dry bags



This is how I'd like to remember Rob: Sitting on the boat, sharing an interesting story about the Canyon or its geology. In this case, he's urging us to get involved in conserving the things we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment