Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Best. Girlfriend. Ever.

In case there was any doubt, I have the best girlfriend ever. Don't try to compete, because you will lose.

One of the guys at the shop talked me into dropping my bike off for a tune up after the Triple Bypass, because he knew I wouldn't want to ride it. Or at least, that's why I thought he wanted me to bring it in. I went in to pick it up today and when they wheeled it out of the shop area I was confused because there was a bag of parts hanging off the brake hoods. Upon closer inspection, I saw that the parts were cranks, brake levers, cogs, etc. Then I looked down to see my brand new Dura Ace double drive train!

I've been talking for a while about getting a double on my bike, but I was hemming and hawing because I couldn't justify the expense. Christine was taking some good notes though, and doing her own research. She was the one who had Kevin (at the shop) talk me into the tune-up so they could install the new parts.

The poor guy who brought my bike up for me knew nothing about it, so I want down to the shop to talk to Kevin. I said "My bike came in with a Ultegra triple, and now it has a Dura Ace double. What's up?" He played stupid, as did the mechanic who installed the parts. It wasn't until the shop owner told me it was a gift that I figured out what happened. I'm still in a little shock. If I didn't already make plans to meet some people for a mountain bike ride I'd be out riding my road bike right now.

When they called me to tell me my bike was ready, they said all they replaced was the brake pads, and the total was $20. As I was paying, I thought: Wow, their Tour de France sales are pretty good. For $20 I got a whole new drive train. :)

Here's the new stuff:
Dura Ace 53x39 crank set
Dura Ace Brake Levers
10 speed Dura Ace 12x25 cassette
Dura Ace Front Derailleur
Dura Ace Rear Derailleur
All new cables

I'm so freakin' excited!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! Madone-shmadone! You won't need the triple anymore now that your bike is so much lighter :) Did you re-weigh it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! The same thought crossed my mind after I left the bike shop. I'll have to weigh it next time I'm in.
    If it's too heavy, I'll just pick up a Wippermann Connex 10TR chain. It's only 235 grams. Oh, and it's $350. Yes, $350 for a chain. *gasp*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing says "I Love You" like a new drive train. :-) Christine is teh awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That has the halmarks of an all time best gift. Careful research, surprise...awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that you must have cloned Christine. Nobody could be that cool on her own. You have two girlfriends, in order to be this cool.

    ReplyDelete