Thursday, March 17, 2005

Bike rides in Savannah

I got up bright and early Tuesday morning, and went out to brave the streets. It was really depressing to look down at my cycling computer and see that it was still set to mountain time, and that my 6:30 AM ride was more like 4:30 AM to my body. There's really no shoulder on most roads, so I just had to count on people driving around me. In Colorado I don't think anything of it because there are so many cyclists but around here I was a little concerned that people would be jerks. For the most part, people gave me some space, except for the occasional car that didn't have much choice but to drive close to me. I did find one bike lane, and it last for about 100 yards before it disappeared without a trace.

Eventually I came up to park with a paved path around a pond, so I did laps around the lake until my coworker gave me a call to discuss our plans for the morning. I started riding back to the hotel at that point, figuring that I could easily make it back in 15-20 minutes, but I had gotten a little turned around. I headed in the direction that I perceived to be correct, and it was for a while. Then I saw a street that I knew ran behind the hotel, so I turned on it...the wrong way. I ended up riding about 4 miles in the opposite direction from the hotel before I decided that I had no clue where I was. I called up my coworker and had him punch my cross-streets into our rental car's GPS and come get me. I would have ridden home, but then we would have been even later getting to the customer site than we had planned. We ended up only being 30 minutes late, but it still sucked.

I was really hoping to get in some more riding in Savannah than I have, but the weather has been cool and rainy. It's not really as cold as Colorado, but I've felt so chilled sometimes (because of the moisture I guess). Today, we couldn't get in the customer site until 10AM, so I got up and 7 and headed out for a ride. It was still a bit chilly and I found myself wishing I would have brought some warmer clothing, but I survived and rode for a little over an hour. At one point it seemed like I was out in the middle of nowhere, and I wondered if I made a wrong turn again. But I felt pretty confident and eventually ended up back in civilization. About a mile or two from the hotel it started to rain. I'm glad I didn't have to ride in it too long, because it was kind of chilly.

The great thing about hotels is that they have lots of towels that I can use to wipe the wet road grime off my bike. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment