Tuesday, February 1, 2005

Saturday at Vail

Friday evening I drove up to Dillon because shanabanana invited me up to a friend's condo there. It was nice to drive up to Dillon during a non-peak time and I even managed to catch up with a friend on the phone for most of the drive. Most of the snow slopes at Vail were pretty scraped off and difficult to ride, but we eventually made it over to Blue Sky Basin, where the snow was a little more fluffy. Following better skiers than me through some trees and bumps (neither of which I've done much of this year) was challenging and fun. Another bonus for the weekend was getting to see an old friend from my neighborhood (Steve Schoembs) who was out skiing for the weekend. We met up at lunch and did a few runs.

My plan was to stay for another day if the snow was good, and clearly that was not the case so I left Saturday evening hoping that my late departure would help me avoid a lot of the traffic. I was wrong. It was snowing from near Eisenhower tunnel all the way into Denver, and it raised hell on the roads. I am fine with just driving slow, but what I really hate is stopping for long periods of time. Around Idaho Springs I was stopped a for what seemed like forever, and it's so frustrating. There's a lot of roads that seem to parallel I-70, but I'm not familiar enough with them to get off the highway and trust that it'll take me to the right place. Next time I'm driving back (and not in a hurry) I think I'll play around on those roads and see where they go.

No comments:

Post a Comment