Wednesday, January 26, 2005

I should have taken another water bottle

We've been having some unbelievably nice weather here, so I decided to go for a bike ride at lunch yesterday and do a fitness test (to see if my training is worth anything). It was so nice that I didn't need my tights, thermal jersey, jacket, or fleece gloves!
About 10 minutes into my ride I was approaching an intersection at about the same time as a dump truck coming the opposite direction. He was turning left and decided that he just couldn't wait the extra 3 seconds it would take for me to continue going straight and pass him, so he went ahead and cut me off big time. For the second time in 2 weeks I had to jam on my brakes to avoid someone.
I don't know what it is about being on my bike with cars whipping around me all the time, but it's given me a short fuse. Since this a-hole had nearly run me over I felt it was my duty to shout at him and give him the finger, and the response I got from him was "go f yourself" nod. I fumed for a couple seconds and decided that he was an ass and needed to be dealt with, so I turned around and chased him down the street. I jawed at him through his open window for a few seconds before I decided to grab the nearest projectile, which happened to be my water bottle. I usually carry 2 water bottles, but for the sake of weight during the fitness test I was about to do, I ditched one of them before I left. That sucked, because I would have loved nothing more than to hurl a full water bottle at this guy. Instead, I had to settle for giving him a nice face full of water. That could be the most gratifying thing ever. It looked like he thought about stopping, but for some reason changed his mind. I certainly wasn't going anywhere.
After that little bit of "cross training" I went on to do my ride, and had some good results. Although my average heart rate was nearly identical to the last time I did this test, my average speed and total time dropped significantly.

3 comments:

  1. Next time after you hurl the water bottle at him, get his truck number and complain to the company. A big fat report in his file will help him drive a little more nicely. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the time that thought crossed my mind it was too late. Although, when I was out riding today I think I found the place where the truck came from. I may have to do some more investigation.

    ReplyDelete