Friday, October 22, 2004

PIPA Report

The Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA) released an interesting report yesterday.

http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Pres_Election_04/Report10_21_04.pdf

Some interesting results from the report:

Despite the conclusions from the Senate Intelligence Committee:
    72% of Bush supporters still believe that Iraq had WMD's or a major program for developing them (compared to 26% of Kerry supporters).
    56% of Bush supporters believe most experts say prewar Iraq had actual WMD's (compared to 18% of Kerry supporters).

After Charles Duelfer, the chief weapons inspector selected by Bush & Co. to investigate whether or not Iraq had WMD's, presented his report to Congress, 57% of Bush supporters thought he had concluded the Iraq had WMD's or a major program to develop them.

56% of Bush supporters believe the conclusion of the 9/11 Commission report stated Iraq was directly involved in, or gave substantial support to al-Qaeda in the 9/11 attacks.  In fact, the commission said the opposite.

There's a lot of other information in the report (like the perception of how of our countries feel about our invasion and Bush's reelection).  If you like numbers, you might be interested in seeing the questionnaire along with the results here.  And the press release here.  I find it psychologically interesting the way the numbers came out, but then again, I'm not a psychologist.

2 comments:

  1. Here we go again!
    So the way you try to get people to come around to your way of thinking is to call them stupid? Wow, I bet you that is going to work. So we have to sit through four more years of Bush is illegitimate and he stole the election? Sounds to me like a bunch of sore loser's once again. Well, you better get used to. You are not going to be winners for a long time to come. Please, keep up with what your doing. It is only going to make things worse for ya. Bet you are all happy Michael Moore is making a new Fahrenheit 911 1/2. His last one had such and impact on the last election. Only pissed people off and more people came out to vote for BUSH!
    Please explain to me how Yasar Arafat is Good, but Bush is bad. Plus, all the people threating to leave the country. Please do, I will even come and help you.
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, WE WON AND YOU LOST. Please nominate Hillary for 2008, it will be a landside victory for us.
    Have you read the Newsweek and Time election issues. Wow, I would be so depressed if I had voted for Kerry.
    Did I mention we one, and you lost. Way to do Bruce Springsteen and The Dixie chicks, you really made a difference. You really rocked the vote.
    We WON!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: Here we go again!
    Holy shit, have you forgotten to take your meds?
    If you think the point of me posting the report was to call people stupid or make people change their mind, then yes, you are indeed stupid. I just thought it was interesting to see what a sampling of people thought about various topics relating to the political climate. You don't find it at all interesting or disturbing that a large percentage of people still believe something that has been proven false? What would you think if someone told you the holocaust never happened?
    I don't know who's saying Bush stole this election, but it certainly isn't me; please quite trying to guess what I'm thinking. It's pretty clear that he won both the electoral and popular vote, so game over. Admittedly, I haven't been keeping up on the news lately so maybe I've missed this sentiment being passed around. I know I've heard stories of voter irregularities, but even including those I don't think there'd have been any chance for Kerry to win, and I think he made the right decision to concede quickly.
    Okay, Yasar Arafat? WTF? When have I EVER said anything about Yasar Arafat? In fact, I'll quite openly admit that I know NOTHING about that situation. Are you trying to pigeon-hole me into some school of thought?
    > WE WON AND YOU LOST
    I think we all lost. :) Really though, I hate how people treat the election like it's some sort of hockey game. It's not a damn contest where you arbitrarily pick a side a pull for the winner, it's the future of our country (and your children). Am I upset that Bush got reelected? You betcha, but I'm over it. It's time to make this country better, and now is Bush's chance to make good on promises. Only time will tell if the next four years will be the same as the previous. I, for one (and I think you'll agree), am glad that the elections are over.

    ReplyDelete