Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Whoops!


First things first.  Yes, I'm fine.

Here's what happened.  I was coming down Rist Canyon road and it started to rain.  I figure since it hadn't rained in a bit there was some crap on the road like oils and gravel from the recent chip-sealing projects.  I went into a downhill hairpin a little too fast and my car pushed to the outside corner where I met with a friendly guard rail.  In all honesty I wasn't going very fast, and I've taken that turn at much higher speeds.  I'm not entirely sure what happened, other than the road being a little slippy. Oh, that and I'm a moron.

What's the damage?


A scrape on the rear driver's side wheel well.


This wheel took the brunt of the impact.  I scraped up the wheel well.  Most likely bent the wheel.  Broke a tie-rod or driveshaft, which made the car completely undriveable.  I couldn't even move the car from the blind side of the corner because the wheels were pointing in opposite directions.


Here's where I smacked.

No airbags deployed.  Good thing, because that would have scared the crap out of me I'm sure.

I had it towed to the dealer.  The great thing about having a unique car is the dealer people know who owns it.  I called at 7:45 this morning and they already had it checked in a ready for inspection.  I don't even have to give them my number anymore because they already know how to find me in the computer.  The insurance company doesn't open until 9AM, so I'll have to wait and see what they say about the monetary damages.

But hey, look at the bright side.  I needed an alignment anyway.  :)

And on a better note, I think the rain is good for my allergies.  My nose is very happy today (although my wallet is not).

5 comments:

  1. ARGHHHHH.... and what did we learn from this? Are you still ok the day after? Next time you modify your car... test it out on straight road..with no one around. Thank God for guard rails..and guardian angels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks -- I suppose that's why you weren't out last night... Hey, if you're planning on coming down for Swingtime and need a place to stay now (and rides to and from!), let me know! Although you will be subjected to dancing until the wee hours of the morning... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just glad you weren't hurt. But it breaks my heart to see your pretty blue baby scratched.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! Sorry to hear this! Glad you are ok though!!!

    ReplyDelete